CACTUS PINCUSHION TUTORIAL

I am quite a mess taking care of plants, probably because of my lack of knowledge (most of the times I have no idea what kind of plant I'm buying) and also because sometimes I'm lazy and I don't check what a specific plant needs. I have to say that I'm trying to do things better each time, because I really like the presence of plants around... specially while they are alive :) 

But cacti are a different story! They resist! So, I guess that pretty much everyone loves cacti! Plus, they are amazingly pretty!  

I've wanted to make a cactus pincushion for some time now and yesterday I finally did it! I've put together a little how-to in case you want to make your own little cactus! It's super easy and fun, I promise!

Here it goes!

1. First off, print the cactus pincushion template. Use the template to cut 6 pieces of fabric. 



I used a fun fabric from IKEA with big leaves in different shades of green. I decided to cut 3 pieces from the light green and 3 from dark green. I tried to choose the nicest parts of the leaves. 

2. Place a light green piece and a dark green piece with right sides of the fabric together. Pin in place and stitch a 1/4" seam all around.

3. Turn the pocket right side out and repeat the same with the remaining pieces until get 3 fabric pockets.



4. Place the three pockets together and pin them flat. Stitch them together along the middle as shown above. If you find this is gonna be too bulky for your sewing machine, you can always stitch it by hand. But, I had no issue with mine.

5. Stuff with batting each one of the 6 compartments. You may need the help of a screwdriver!



6. Once all the compartments are well stuffed, stitch the bottom aperture. I used an espresso cup to hold my cactus! It wasn't necessary to glue it or anything!



7. Now, choose a fabric for the cactus flower and cut a strip of 1" x 7" approximately. Fold it in half (right sides of the fabric together), press and baste by hand along the raw edge (I used perle cotton). Pull the thread in order to ruffle the fabric. Play with it until you get a nice flower shape!

8. Attach the flower to the cactus top and... TA-DA! Your cute little cactus pincushion is ready!

Happy Monday!

Ingrid


81 comments:

  1. Jo l'inspiro i ella fa la perfecció. Quina passada!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cute, and your instructions are brilliant. Now , who am I going to make this for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Julia!! You can just make it and decide it later haha it's fun! and quick! Have a great day! :)

      Delete
  3. Oh my goodness, I am in love!! I would love for you to share this at our link party going on now. I'm also going to feature it on my Facebook page. So so cute.

    I'd love for you to share at our link party going on now.

    http://www.delineateyourdwelling.com/2014/08/link-it-or-lump-it-party-number-49-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ingrid, this is the most brilliant pincushion! Finally, a pincushion that look like pins belong there! You made it beautifully! Thank you for making the instructions for us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This little pin-cushion is adorable! I love the fabrics you chose. Pinning. I'd be thrilled if you linked this up to my Creative Ways Link Party this week. It goes live on Wednesday at 8pm central. Hope to see you there!
    Blessings,
    Nici

    ReplyDelete
  6. How clever and adorable! Pinning. :) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I collect pin cushions and this is so adorable. Love the fabric you used.
    Bev

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for linking up! This is so cute- I'm going to pin it so I can make it when I get some free time (and finish fixing the upholstery rips in my couch courtesy of my 3 boys :P ) Great idea!
    -S.L. Payne, uncommongrace.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is the cutest thing ever! And it's useful, too. Thanks for linking up to the DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my goodness, what a fabulous idea! I'm sad to say that I can't even keep cacti alive, but I could do a cactus pincushion. Thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is so adorable! Great design!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found you just in time. I've been wanting a new pincushion. I am going to have to make one, yours looks wonderful.
    Ali xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Super, super cute! Thanks for sharing this great tutorial!
    Hope you have an awesome week!
    Hugs from Portugal,
    Ana Love Craft
    www.lovecraft2012.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is so cute and clever! What a great idea! I could use one of these! I would love if you would stop by and share this at my new link party, Celebrate It! It is all about celebrating what we do every day! http://bit.ly/1ucHUvh
    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your instructions are as adorable as the pin cushion itself! Congrats of being featured on Sew Can Do

    ReplyDelete
  17. Pinned your cactus, so cute! If you have not shared this yet at Bacon Time, please do. I really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So adorable! Pinning and thanks for linking up with the DIY'ers!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a sweet project! I love it! Pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Adorable! This would make a lovely gift for my DIL who is learning to sew and quilt. Pinned and thanks for sharing.

    Michelle @ On A Wing And A Prayer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michelle! You're right, this project is perfect for beginners, It's easy and quick, so they can have something finished ready to enjoy in less than an hour!

      Delete
  21. I love this!! I've got a Craft Gossip post scheduled for tomorrow morning that links to your tutorial:http://sewing.craftgossip.com/tutorial-cactus-pincushion-2/2014/08/13/
    --Anne

    ReplyDelete
  22. So super cute!! Thanks so much for sharing at the par-tay! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have sent to my daughter at school who are just about to make a pincushion. Hopefully her teacher sees the sense in this.

    Great and thanks...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great!! I would love to see it if they end up making it! Thanks so much! :)

      Delete
  24. This is lovely! Will most definitely try my hand at this. Thank you so much for sharing it so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Caroline! I would love to see the result if you finally end up trying it!! :)

      Delete
  25. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Super cute graphic

    ReplyDelete
  26. Living in Arizona, I love this!!! So adorable!!!

    Have a lovely Day!
    Dee from www.thecsiproject.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. This is so adorable!! I must have one!! I'm going by hobby lobby this afternoon anyway, I know what kind of fabric I'm looking for! Thanks for this tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your written directions say one fourth seem allowance, but your cute little picture says one half.… I'm going to go with one fourth. I hope that's right!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I made this pin cushion as a secret Santa gift and it was the hit of the party. Thank you so much for such a cute and easy project.

    ReplyDelete