DIY CHRISTMAS DECORATIONS TUTORIAL


Hi there!

Hope all of you that celebrated Thanksgiving had a great time with family and friends. I also hope you are ready for some Christmas ideas! Yes!Christmas is nearly here! 


I'm going to spend Christmas at home in Barcelona and I always enjoy helping my mom with all the decorations. This year's plan turns around making lots of long fabric braids! They are really easy to make and end up being really cute! At first I just wanted to use them to make fabric Christmas tree balls but I loved them so much that I decided to go further and use them also to decorate our Christmas table. 


As you can see I didn't use traditional Christmas fabrics. I love to play with fabrics and it's amazing how these ended up being very festive at the end. I am sure you have lots of fabrics at home that can perfectly be used in a Christmas project like this one. Just look in your fabric stash, be creative and I promise you will be very happy with the result. And all without buying any Christmas fabrics! Anyway it will look pretty also with Christmas fabrics :)


The Christmas tree balls require very little sewing, they just need a fast zigzag stitching! So don't be afraid!


For the Christmas table I decided to make some very simple rounded place mats. I decorated them by stitching a fabric braid all around the edge. It turned out beautifully! I love them and as they are made using non Christmas fabrics, they can be used any time!

After playing around with these fabric braids I am pretty sure I will use them in more occasions. They have endless possibilities! You can also use them as a garland in your Christmas tree or even as napkin wraps!

I decided to sew some matching napkins and try it! I think the result is actually really cool!


I've prepared a step by step tutorial with lots of pictures in case you want to make this Christmas project or use the fabric braids in other projects! Just click the image below and enjoy!


Thanks so much for stopping by ans let's get ready for Christmas!

Ingrid 

8 comments:

  1. what great holiday craft ideas. I love the ornament!

    Thank you so much for sharing at Needle and Thread Thursday!

    :) Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great way to use up fabric scraps!
    -Julie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the ornament too-my kids could make these too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG. this is so pretty and elegant! great way to make use of unwanted fabric pieces! i'm so glad you shared this :D looking forward to more cool stuff coming from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christmass is a very special day for all the christians. I love the decorations they make on their big day. Specially the Tree they make that looks so beautiful and santa clause off course. Thanks for giving few different ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've prepared a step by step tutorial with lots of pictures in case you want to make this Christmas project or use the fabric braids in other projects! Just click the image below and enjoy!
    makhmal bed sheet
    bombay dyeing velvet bed sheets

    ReplyDelete